Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another Beginning

Three summers ago we spent two-and-a-half weeks in the Carolinas. Best vacation EVER. We got back home the day before school started. Since we were all still on eastern standard time, the kids were up and ready for school way early. We decided to go out for breakfast to celebrate the first day of school and a new tradition was born.

We don't eat out a lot, especially not for breakfast. But once a year we head to Paula's Pancake House in downtown Solvang for a huge meal: pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, orange juice, fruit and coffee (the coffee is only for the grownups!). Wednesday morning found us up with the fog, sliding into a table at Paula's.

Even though we live in Solvang, my kids are lucky enough to go to Ballard Elementary, a school that has been in continuous operation since 1883. There are more modern buildings on the campus as well, but this little red schoolhouse is for the kindergarteners. Trust me, I cried the first day my kids went here. It was just so sweet, so quintessentially American. The teacher, Mrs. Carlson, is everything you could want in a kindergarten teacher. It's the perfect beginning.

Of course, I don't have any more kindergarteners. With one in 2nd and one in 5th, I am wondering how they got so old so fast. We've already got homework, soccer practice and play dates, so I relish even more the quiet time during the day.

Tomorrow will be my first day with an empty house (hubby has had off the last two days and let me tell you, he is a HUGE distraction!) and I've already made big plans for a pitcher of tea, an extension cord and my lovely back yard where I won't answer the phone. WIP, here I come!

20 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Your kids are so cute! What a great tradition. I have my first going to kindergarten this year!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Thanks, Corey! Enjoy kindergarten. It's so much fun! And before you know it, your oldest will be a big ole fifth grader!

lisa and laura said...

I love your tradition! So cute!

And I'm a tiny bit jealous of your empty house. I know that I'll miss my kiddos when they're gone, but it sure would be nice to have some extra time to write. Not for a few more years...

Kelly Polark said...

That's a wonderful tradition!
This year my fifth grader has to be on the bus at 7:10 so no going out for breakfast for us!
Love that cute lil school!

Sarah Laurenson said...

Great tradition! And description of your date with your WIP time and place.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hi, Sherrie! It's nice to meet you!

That sounds like a lot of fun! I envy your kids for being surrounded by history like that! I would have loved to go to school in that little red building!

Susan R. Mills said...

Have fun writing tomorrow! I hope to do a little of the same. I love that picture of the school house. You could write a book on that alone.

Anonymous said...

Wow--are you in the Ballard district, or do you have to apply--like a charter school? Very cool!

Enjoy your hours. It's a wonderful time of the writing year. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

LiLa: Your time will come before you know it!

Kelly: Yikes! We were just rolling out of bed at 7:10 this morning! My husband takes the kids to school so I'm not even out of pajamas until 8:30 :)

Sarah: I am really looking forward to my date tomorrow!

Kristin: Nice to meet you too! And my kids both already have nostalgia for their little red schoolhouse since they had such a great kindergarten experience there.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Susan: I wrote an article on the school. If you click on the link in the post it will take you right there!

Becky: Our house is in the Ballard District. We feel very lucky.

Tess said...

Adorable pics...and love the whole breakfast on the first day of school tradition.

Hooray for back to school and time in our days to write :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

How lovely! I hope you get a lot done with your extra free time. Your kids are adorable, and I'm wondering how my own daughter is going to be 3 the end of next month. Time does fly by!

storyqueen said...

Cutest. Schoolhouse. Ever.

Enjoy your empty house!

Shelley

Elana Johnson said...

I envy you. Backyard. Cord. Quiet. Hope you get a lot done!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Go Sherrie!

Love that schoolhouse and the road it's on. It's lovely to drive around where you live. Lucky you!

Rebecca Gomez said...

The school house is adorable, as are your children!

I completely understand about hubby being a distraction. I never get anything done when hubby's home!

Anonymous said...

enjoy! they will grow too fast!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Hope you had a great writing day! Love the photos!

My kids start school next Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to my 2 1/2 hours of writing time, while youngest is in kindergarten.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Tess: Thanks - it's a fun tradition and Friday was SO productive!

Glam: I did get a lot done, but time does fly by...

Shelley: Isn't it just too cute? I had a great day :)

Elana: I got tons done. It was a great day!

Suzanne: The whole Ballard campus is lovely. I do feel lucky!

Rebecca: Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a distracting husband!

Meredith: They do grow too fast...

Vivian: I had a wonderful writing day. I remember those short days of kindergarten--enjoy that window!

Katie Anderson said...

Oh man, so cool! What a great tradition!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...