Monday, August 17, 2009

Add 'em to the Pile


I know this will shock some of you, but Barnes and Noble does not carry every book. Neither does Borders. And even though my local indie, The Book Loft, is willing to order anything for me, they can't get everything and I don't always know what to look for.

So I was really excited to see the Friday night book signing at SCBWI, where I got to meet old friends and learn about new books coming out. I mean look at all this stuff! In between chatting with authors and having my future told with rune stones (really!), I grabbed all these postcards, bookmarks, notepads, flashlights–whatever loot I could lay my hands on. And now, sifting through it, I have to say there's some really good stuff coming, and some of it is already out.

For example:
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
A prodigal son. A dangerous love. A deadly secret...true love's first kill.
From Egmont December 22, 2009

Jungle Crossing by Sydney Salter
From the top of the pyramid at Chichen Itza to sparkling underground rivers to a quincinera in a small village, Sydney Salter takes readers on an exciting journey through Mexico, past and present, and brilliantly blends two riveting stories from vastly different cultures, showing how widening one's perspective can empower anyone...even a kid struggling through junior high.

Breathing by Cheryl Renee Herbsman
I know it's only dreaming. But I reckon if you go on and act like something is real, sometimes it just believes you.
From Viking, April 2009

Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist: Flight of the Phoenix by R.L. LaFevers
With his parents lost at sea, Nathaniel Fludd lands on the doorstep of a distant cousin–the world's last remaining beastologist. Soon Nate is whisked off on his first expedition, to Arabia, where the world's only phoenix prepares to lay its new egg. Too bad Nate's not the sort of boy who enjoys adventure...yet.
From Houghton Mifflin September 2009 (Read an exerpt!)

Bait for Lunch by K.A. Okagaki
Gilroy Tanaka is excited to have Grandpa stay with him while Mom and Dad are away. That is until Grandpa serves octopus for dinner and squid-kabobs for lunch. What's a hungry kid supposed to do?
From 4RVPublishing (which also pubbed Rena Jones' A New Job for Dilly)

But this postcard really caught my attention:


Ash by Malinda Lo
A lyrical and riveting retelling of Cinderella, with a twist: This Cinderella's Prince Charming is a girl. Entrancing and romantic, Ash is a fairy tale about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.
From Little Brown September 2009

And then of course there's the book that everyone is dying to get their hands on, Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, which comes out in 15 DAYS!!

My To Be Read pile just keeps growing. What's on your must read list?

17 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, thanks for sharing!

lisa and laura said...

I've never heard of Ash before! That cover is just gorgeous! I will definitely be adding that book to my list.

Rebecca Gomez said...

My daughter and I are both itching to get our hands on Catching Fire!

PJ Hoover said...

Sounds like you have a fantastic chapter! What great books!

Tana said...

Oh gosh, must get that Cinderella book! If you check out Janet Reid's blog, she posted on this very subject yesterday. I think you'll enjoy it.

Katie Anderson said...

I can't WAIT for Catching Fire!!!!

Casey Something said...

Look at all that! Fun! I've been loving the cover of ASH since it first graced the net. I think it's one of my favorites right now. Can't wait to read it, too! I'm also very excited about THE DARK DIVINE. Love that cover as well.

Kelly Polark said...

Cool titles, many I have not heard before! My son keeps bugging me to read the Percy Jackson series (and I want to read the first one by Feb when the movie comes out) so I will read that in time. I want to read the Sookie Stackhouse series and so many others by blueboarder authors too!

C.R. Evers said...

What a great list!

I"m looking forward to Catching Fire, and Sacred Scars.

Anonymous said...

You know, somebody really needs to invent software that will port these blogs about books DIRECTLY into my to-do list.

Taking notes. :)

Yat-Yee said...

Thanks for the recommendations.

Beth Kephart said...

Very very cool. Thanks for this look at the future.

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh goodness, there are a bunch of good ones coming!!!

Tess said...

I know some of those, but not all. I'm jotting down titles....

I just got some B&N credit for my b-day, so I'm itching to buy some new books!

Tess said...

ps, I know I was following...how did you fall off my google reader? Wierd.

Susan R. Mills said...

Thanks for sharing! I love finding out about new books. Not that I don't have a huge pile of unread ones as it is, but still, one can never have too many books, can they?

Anita said...

I keep hearing about Lee Childs in the thriller arena and am starting one of his books today! Am so excited!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...