Friday, August 21, 2009

$14 Down the Drain


I don't have a problem with spending $14 on books. I do it all the time. But when it's at the library? For fines? That just makes me want to cry...

I've been on a reading rampage this year. Since January I've read 51 books (they're listed on the left if you scroll down far enough). I probably own half of the books on the list, and the rest have come from the library.

The thing is, somewhere around mid July, my life got more crazy. I didn't have as much time to read, but I had these stacks from the library. I renewed them thinking I would get to them. But then we went on vacation, I went to SCBWI, and, well, a notice came in the mail yesterday.

There's one more little detail I forgot to mention...I don't have my own library card. Yeah, I know it's pretty weird. I really should get my own. But what I usually do is check out all my books on my son's card.

So, not only does my 9-year-old son have titles like "The King's Rose" on his library record, he also has a whopping $14 in fines. Well, had. We of course hopped in the car and hightailed it down to the library where we hung our heads in shame, paid the bill (*sob*), renewed the books we're still reading and...checked out more stuff!

On his card. I still didn't get my own. I promise I will. Someday.

In the meantime, I'm trying not to think about what I could have spent that money on...a nice lunch, Catching Fire, three ice blended vanillas. Sigh. Maybe I can just think of it as my contribution to the budget shortfall. Um, not so much.

What costly mistakes have you made that you wish you could change?

13 comments:

Anita said...

I ALWAYS have a fine at the library. Still worth it, though. We can't find HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS (IN FRENCH) anywhere! If you find it, let me know!

Jean Michelle Miernik said...

Yeah, don't stress about it too much. A $14 fine is a bummer but won't break the bank, and it will go to benefit the library. It's like a small charitable donation to support something you love!

Anita, I bought that Harry Potter book in French for my brother a few years ago. I found it on amazon.com. Maybe check there, bn.com, and eBay.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Me and my honey are Border's bookaholics. He works about one week out of the month to pay for our habit. *wink*

Just think what it would have cost if you bought all those books! You saved yourself lots of money. And, like Genie said, money to a library is always a good thing.;-)

storyqueen said...

I once had a huge library fine, too! And on my daughter's card! (That's because where I used to live, in New Mexico, they didn't fine you if you were overdue......so when I moved to CA, I was in no hurry to return the books.) Lesson learned.

Shelley

Rebecca Gomez said...

At my library, if children's items are checked out on a kid's library card, there are no overdue fees. So whenever I want to check out a middle-grade to read myself, I have one of my kids check it out for me.

We rarely have fines, but recently my daughter put some books on hold and then forgot about them. The holds expired and now she owes $3.00. Silly girl.

Yat-Yee said...

Oh library fines. I think I've contributed to a new wing should they decide to build one. But librarians are always so understanding about fines.

This doesn't go on your son's record, does it? He's not going to get a lower credit score when he starts applying for cards and loans? :)

Kelly Polark said...

Sherrie, I feel your pain! I can even renew mine online and sometimes I forget. It's frustrating, but it's still cheaper than buying the books!

Susan R. Mills said...

I always have library fines, and I don't rent movies anymore because every time I would turn them in late. I get so frustrated with myself. It's such a waste!

Vivian Mahoney said...

You don't want to know what I've paid in library fines over the years. Renewing on-line definitely has saved me money. Though, I know the money is going to the library, so I don't mind the fine. But every once in awhile, I think about what I could have purchased with the fine money...

What I hate is going to restaurants and spending money on overpriced food that doesn't taste like or look like what I imagined it would from the description on the menu. Just not good. Puts me in a bad mood every time.

Enjoy your weekend!

Tess said...

Ugh! Hate those library fines. They seem so harmless at a measly 35cents a day...but they add up quick.

Costly mistakes? Hmmm...I'd say the pink and white and yellow striped capris that I thought would be cute for summer. On my 14 year old? Yes, absolutely. On MY 41 year old butt? Not so much.

PJ Hoover said...

I try so hard not to think about financial mistakes. Put them behind me and move on.
Yikes! You could have bought a new hardcover for that.

Anonymous said...

I try and tell myself I'm just donating the money to a good cause. It's those looks the librarians give me that are so hard to deal with! :)

Heather Ayris Burnell said...

Yup, libraries can definitely use the money. Funny thing is, my library doesn't charge overdue fees. I might be a little more motivated to get my books back on time--and I'm a librarian! I hear we're the worst when it comes to overdue books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...