Thursday, February 6, 2014

Booking Hollywood's It Girl

Is it me, or is Shailene Woodley the most literary actress around?

This year she has two eagerly anticipated movies coming out based on highly successful YA novels. Divergent releases March 21 and The Fault in our Stars comes out three months later. The trailer for TFIOS has been the subject of many discussions at the school where I work, since pretty much everyone has read the book. Freshmen and sophomores had it for assigned reading over the summer. (Yes, our teachers are awesome that way!)

If you haven't seen the trailer, you must watch it. Now. I'll wait.



Isn't it amazing?
*wipes tears*
Ahem.

So, Shailene.

She also has a third film releasing this year, White Bird in a Blizzard, and guess what? You got it. The movie is based on a 1999 novel by Laura Kasischke.

Her IMDB profile is filled with movies based on books. Last year she starred in The Spectacular Now (novel by Tim Tharp) and in 2011 she was in the George Clooney movie, The Descendents (novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings). In 2005 she starred in Once Upon a Mattress (gotta love your fairy tales) and Felicity, an American Girl adventure. (We own this one since my daughter was obsessed with American Girl books, dolls and movies.) In fact, every film she was worked on has been based on a book.

Her next two movies are already predetermined since she's locked into the Divergent trilogy. But I can't help but wonder what book to movie adaptation will be next for this young actress.

Two more MG/YA novels-to-movies this year: The Giver and The Maze Runner.


Jeff Bridges might need to grow a little more facial hair :)

And in 2015, the one I'm anticipating the most -- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Any book-to-movie adaptations you're looking forward to?

8 comments:

PurpleMist. said...

I have bookmarked the tfios trailer and watch it pretty much every day :P
SOOO good... Can't wait to watch the movie. There will be loads of tears in the cinema!

She seems like a very talented young actress. I watched The Spectacular Now last month and it was great!

Barbara Watson said...

I don't usually love movies made from books (and often don't watch them) but was recently challenged to change my mind when an author gave his writing/tv production background take on it saying how movies are a totally different medium in which to experience the story. I may give The Fault of our Stars a try.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Purple Mist: You're a major fan! I haven't watched The Spectacular Now yet, but I read the book over Christmas break and I bought the DVD. I'll be at the theater the day TFIOS comes out.

Barbara: I've often felt the same way, but this fall when I saw Catching Fire, I actually liked it better than the book! (I know, total heresy!) I'm hoping TFIOS captures the brilliance of the books. John Green was on set a lot and he seems to like the results so I'm hopeful!

Rosi said...

I don't watch a lot of movies -- made from books or original screen plays -- but if I hear good things about TFIOS, I might give it a try.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Then I'll be sure to let you know!

DMS said...

I read and enjoyed The Giver. I am definitely curious about the movie. I have The Fault in Our Stars to read, but I haven't had the chance yet (plus, I know I will cry- so I am waiting until I have a free day). :) I don't have Maze Runner- but it is on my list!

Thanks for sharing! It is so exciting when there are interesting movies coming out.
~Jess

Kristan said...

I think it's partly because SO many books and TV shows nowadays are adaptations -- even if they don't stick very close to the source material or share a title (like the TV shows Starcrossed and Intelligence).

I don't mind Shailene, but I confess that having her star in 2 such enormous YA works one right after the other is going to make it hard for me to forget it's her and sink into the characters. Maybe that's just me, though? (And let's not even talk about her Divergent bro playing her TFIOS bf...)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Jess: My kids both read The Giver in school so they're eager to see that one. Plus my daughter loves Taylor Swift :) Make time for TFIOS. It's not just a tear jerker. It's a fantastic story.

Kristan: Totally agree that it's an odd bit of casting -- sort of Flowers in the Attic?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...