Friday, March 16, 2012

The Inspiring Katie Anderson


I can’t even begin to tell you how happy it made me to read this yesterday in Publisher’s Weekly.


Because I remember back in 2009, when Katie was depressed after the SCBWI conference. She thought she had finished writing a fabulous book, but editors and agents didn’t. They liked the concept but thought it needed major reworking.

I remember reading the first five chapters after she started revising and thinking, holy crap, if this book doesn’t make it big, then something’s wrong with the world.

I remember how excited she was when she had multiple agents trying to sign her, how sad she was when her book made it to acquisitions, only to be turned down. I can hear her voice in my head right now, encouraging me as we both went through Submissionitis.

Katie worked for YEARS revising and submitting and revising some more. She thought this book was dead. She even wrote a post, almost exactly one year ago, called "The Death of a Book." To have it come back to life, and in such a big way, it’s karma people. Good things have come to the woman who wrote and revised. And waited.

I am so proud of you Katie, so thrilled that the world is going to get to read your book, see your movie and wear your lip gloss! YES! It couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.

Read the Publisher's Weekly story then go congratulate her

CONGRATULATIONS, KATIE!!!

15 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Sigh. I love hearing stories like that. The story sounds so fun and cute!

Stina said...

That's an awesome story. I've read (and fallen in love with) another YA book that will be coming out from Amazon. I'm glad they saw the brilliance in both my friend's and Katie's books. :D

Bish Denham said...

Far out! Congratulations to Katie.

storyqueen said...

Katie was one of my sub buddies back in 2009. Cannot tell you how happy I am for her! Good things happen to those who never give up.

Shelley

Kristan said...

Congrats to her. Sounds like all the hard work paid off - in a big way! Very encouraging and inspiring. :)

Katie Anderson said...

Aw. Thanks! You actually made me cry.

Don't give up, people! As I told Sherrie, seek God's will and give it all you've got and no matter WHAT happens, you will always be at peace.

And sometimes dreams really do come true. HA! (That's a song from SMASH, my new fave show :) hee hee

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Congrats to Katie!! Thank you for sharing this about her, Sherrie. I didn't know, and this gives me so much hope. I'll have to check more into her story. I've had a similar experience with my second YA novel at first--agents loved the concept, but thought the structure needed work. A few of those agents even told me to keep with this story. I started revising last month and keep thinking "Is this worth it?" But after reading about Katie's experience, maybe it is worth it. Thank you.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I saw this yesterday, too, and literally squealed out loud! Such exciting, amazing, wonderful news!!!!!!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Laura: I love stories like this, too, especially when I know the people. I guess I do like fairy tales :)

Stina: Katie is indeed brilliant and that's exciting news about your friend, too!

Bish: My thoughts exactly :P

Shelley: Isn't it great to see this happen for her? I'm so thrilled that the world gets to read Kiss & Tell.

Kristan: She did work so hard on this. She's a huge inspiration to me.

Katie: You're crying and I can't stop smiling! I'm so glad your dream is coming true :D

Sheri: I'm so glad her story gives you hope. Never give up.

Shannon: I was squealing, too, and babbling incoherently to my husband. I love that her book was revived and in such a big way!

Dawn Simon said...

What a great post! I'm very happy for your friend Katie! Her book sounds super fun!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Now, that's a feel-good story on a rainy day. Wow. I loved reading about this. Congratulations to Katie and thanks for posting, Sherrie.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

yay Katie!!

Susan R. Mills said...

Congrats to Katie! I knew there'd be good news for someone while I was away. :)

cleemckenzie said...

What a great story--both her book and her personal journey to success! Hats off to Katie.

Christina Lee said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I was on vacation last week and am totally catching up on Katie's news--yesssss, I remember this story and her blog posts about it!!!


MAJOR MAJOR congrats, girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...