Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Everyone Just Wants to be Loved

My 12yo plans to have a career in film, so he tends to analyze everything he watches. Nothing escapes his notice. He pays attention to the music, the acting, the storyline, the editing, and how they all work together.

As a rule, he tends to avoid romances. That mushy stuff has never been up his alley in books, and certainly not when it's acted out on the big screen. But he shared a realization with me the other day.

"All the best stories have romance in them, don't they?" he asked.

I gave him a quizzical look so he elaborated.

"My favorite movies, like Avatar. It's basically a love story, right? Inception? The most tragic love story of all. Every good movie has great action, funny stuff and an amazing story, but there's a romance at the center of it. All of it has to be there for it to be really good."

"Why do you think that is?" I asked.

He thought for a moment then shrugged. "I guess maybe everyone just wants to be loved."

Amazing, the lessons I keep learning from my kids...

14 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome what kids can teach us. Thanks for sharing.

Stina said...

Love it!!!!!

My 9yo wants to be involved in movie making too. His room is covered in movie posters, and every time we go to San Francisco, we have to visit the Pixar studio (not that you can go inside). :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Your kids are so awesome! Has he watched Super 8? It's adorable, but it has this kid film crew that discovers the same thing, and it's just the most precious moment in film!!

storyqueen said...

Wow. That's very profound. He is very insightful...that's going to be a great quality for someone in film!

Shelley

Kristan said...

That is seriously genius. :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Wow, that is a deep insight from a 12-year-old. He's pretty brilliant, mom!! :-)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

What an awesome insight from a 12 year old! If he sees this now, then I look forward to watching his films in the future!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Natalie: I'm amazed by how much I keep learning from them!

Stina: I hope some day as adults they get to work together on a film. Wouldn't that be cool? :)

Susan: We haven't watched Super 8, but I'll add it to the Netflix queue!

Shelley: He's so focused, I think he really has a shot at making it happen. I've certainly enjoyed watching his film making evolve over the years. :)

Kristan: I'm going to have to keep that comment to myself. We don't want his ego to match his genius :D

Shannon: He wrote a whole essay on Inception and turned it in for English today. It seriously brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could have written that well at his age!

Dianne: I hope he sticks with it because I want to see them too!

Rosi said...

Out of the mouths of babes... Great story, great kid!

Bish Denham said...

You have a wise young man there. If this is but a small indication, then there is a good possibility he will go far in his life.

Barbara Watson said...

That's at our core, isn't it? I love that your son could voice that.

Lydia Kang said...

Talk about brilliant observations!

Kelly Polark said...

Wow! He sounds very intelligent and mature.

And yes, I think everyone does want to be loved.

Krispy said...

Did not see this until now, but what a revelation your son had! So true and insightful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...