Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Write a Review Wednesday: Savvy


I realize I should be doing push ups right now, but I thought I'd avoid them for a few minutes longer by doing a book review. Tara Lazar alerted me to Write a Review Wednesday so I'm going to try to remember to post a review of a children's book each week.

This week's review is of SAVVY, by Ingrid Law. If you take a look at my reading list, you'll see that most of the MG/YA I read is fantasy/adventure. What can I say. I like action. But every so often a simple coming-of-age story will capture my attention and make me want more. SAVVY is that kind of book.

Now some of you who have read the book might disagree with me about the genre of this book because it does have a lot of fantasy-like elements. As Editor Kate Harrison said, "It's fantasy lite." But really the book is about family, friendship, secrets and figuring out who you are in a given moment of time. The book is filled with memorable characters, a crazy adventure and funny situations. It's a great summer read.

Here's the publisher's blurb:
For generations, the Beaumont family has harbored a magical secret. They each possess a “savvy”—a special supernatural power that strikes when they turn thirteen. Grandpa Bomba moves mountains, her older brothers create hurricanes and spark electricity...and now it’s the eve of Mibs’s big day.

As if waiting weren’t hard enough, the family gets scary news two days before Mibs’s birthday: Poppa has been in a terrible accident. Mibs develops the singular mission to get to the hospital and prove that her new power can save her dad. So she sneaks onto a salesman’s bus...only to find the bus heading in the opposite direction. Suddenly Mibs is on an unforgettable odyssey that will force her to make sense of growing up—and of other people, who might also have a few secrets hidden just beneath the skin. For ages 9 and up.

So what are you reading this summer? Any good recommendations?

Oh, and for all Blogger/Facebook/Twitter fans, you've got to read this article.

8 comments:

Suzanne Casamento said...

Thanks for the review! So glad we could distract you from the push ups. ; )

As for my summer reading list, so far, I don't have one. I'm revising - no time to read!

Yat-Yee said...

You got me started on the push-up schedule too. I completed day 1, and already feel stronger, though not strong enough for the push-up drills we had to do at TKD today! But I know if I hadn't done Day 1, I would have given up much sooner today.

My reading list changes daily. Right now I am reading Shift by Jennifr Bradbury.

If you're interested, my review for Savvy is here http://yatyeechong.blogspot.com/2008/10/savvy-review.html

Kelly Polark said...

I've heard great things about this book!

PJ Hoover said...

This keeps almost making it onto my list! Soon!

Rena Jones said...

This book is being made into a film, right? I hope to read it sometime before that happens.

Cool on being in the article. I agree about the status updates. Sometimes they're pretty bizarre!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Suzanne - I'm good with distractions :0 Have fun revising!

Yat-Yee - I'm so excited you're doing the push ups! We'll have to compare arms in six weeks :)

Kelly - It's definitely worth reading

PJ - Add it to the list!

Rena - I didn't realize it was going to be a film. And LOL, it didn't register that there was a Sheri Peterson in the article. Not me!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

awesome book and great link!

lisa and laura said...

This book looks great! My TBR pile is getting way too big, but I guess it's a good way to pass the time over the summer!

I just finished The Late, Lamented Molly Marx (it was ok...), next up Rebel Angels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...