Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Room for Books

Many writers start off as avid readers and I am no exception. Enter any room of my house and you will find books everywhere: on shelves (where they are supposed to be!), on the sofa, stacked on the floor, in the linen closet, under the bed...you get the idea.

Last night my husband gave me the most wonderful gift.

He has had several days off since he quit his job last week and starts the new one tomorrow. So with his free time, he decided to redo our bedroom. He ripped out the carpet and put in wood floors, painted the walls, and added gorgeous 6-inch floor trim. It looks like a completely different room. It's beautiful. But that's not even the best part.

As I lay in bed I couldn't take my eyes off the most perfect part of my new room. The built-in bookshelf next to my night stand. Now instead of knocking over stacks as I climb into bed, I can stare at my shelves and go to sleep thinking of all the wonderful stories arranged so neatly in this corner.

Of course, it's almost full already. I won't have room for many more books. *sigh* And you realize that not having space is not enough reason for me to not buy more.

But that's okay. It's enough to enjoy my beautiful shelves crafted with love by my wonderful husband.

What shall I read tonight?

12 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Wow! Great hubby! How long did that take him? It looks fantastic!

PJ Hoover said...

What an amazing, thoughtful thing! This all sounds perfect!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Glam - He spent 5 days on the entire room. The bookshelf only took part of a day.

PJ - He is extremely thoughtful of those he loves :^)

Kelly H-Y said...

OH MY GOODNESS ... how thoughtful is he?!?! All that in just a few days ... PLUS a bookshelf!!! Talk about the best gift you've ever received ... :-) It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kelly Polark said...

Wow! The bookshelf and wood floor are beautiful!!! You have a very thoughtful (and handy) husband!

Anita said...

Love the shelf! Could use about 500of my own. Saw you at Kristin Nelson agency today...I have an interview with the new agent there on my blog today, FYI.

lisa and laura said...

I'm SO jealous. Particularly becaues my husband (literally) doesn't know how to hang pictures. It looks gorgeous, enjoy! Looks like you're already putting it to good use.

Beth Kephart said...

Your
Husband
Did
All
Of
That
In
A
Week?


that's a very happy thought.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Wow. What a great gift. You should enter that in the greatest gift contest!

Does he have a brother? ; )

Anonymous said...

Wow--once again, similar lives. Husband just added two new sets of shelves to the living room and kitchen. When the little wall heater died years ago in the bathroom, he didn't replace it, just put in more shelves! Yours are beautiful!

Great guys to have around! :)

Kimberley Troutte said...

Can I borrow him for a week?

C.R. Evers said...

wow! That's gorgeous! What a thoughtful hubby! He must have earned some major points w/ you there! Awesome work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...