Friday, December 5, 2008

LOL!

Don’t you love reading something so funny it makes you laugh out loud?

Two summers ago on vacation in South Carolina, my son discovered Jeff Kinney’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He was only 7 years old, but he totally loved that book and read the whole thing out loud to us, sometimes laughing so hard we could barely understand the words! It was so great driving around the state hearing nonstop laughter from the back seat.

Last night in the car on the way home from Santa Barbara, he was rereading the Wayside School books by Louis Sachar. He read out loud to us his favorite funny parts. But even as he read to himself, I could hear his chuckling delight and it made me laugh.

Jasmine recently discovered the Dumb Bunnies series by Dav Pilkey. I realize some people think he is too irreverent for children, but omigosh I LOVE him. And I love that even at this young age, she gets everything she’s reading and just laughs and laughs as she reads the books!

A.J. Jacobs is making me laugh out loud right now. (Yes, I’m actually reading a book intended for people over the age of 12. Shocking, I know.) I’m reading The Year of Living Biblically and I have to say I love his honesty and his dry wit. Coming from a conservative Christian background, I totally relate to some of the absurdities of religion and I love his “outsiders” perspective on the whole concept of Christianity.

Since I can’t read just one book at once, I’m also busy reading The Sea of Monsters, book two in the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. While I don’t laugh aloud in these books, they do make me smile. Percy's world completely captures my imagination and I’m thinking Riordan’s pretty brilliant.

What’s making you laugh out loud these days? Tell me. Books that can crack up my family are always a good thing!

2 comments:

Suzanne Casamento said...

Great post! The thing is, I haven't read anything funny in a while. I'm reading Ellen Hopkins' Burned right now. Good book, but not exactly a laugh a minute.

I'm going to have to reevaluate my reading strategy. I think I may be too serious!

Sherrie Petersen said...

I go in phases. Sometimes it's all heavy reading, sometimes it's just for fun. I'm just happy that I can make the time to read. As long as I'm reading, it's all good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...