Friday, February 19, 2010

Blame it on the Donkey

Nerd that I am, I can always appreciate a good play on words. However, the subtlety is often lost on my kids.

It doesn't take much to make them laugh. They tend to go for the obvious choices. Words like bum and buttocks send them into hysterics. And don't mention the name Dick Butkus around them. Nobody has a straight face when my kids are done making fun of that poor man's name.

So when I got in the car to take them to school the other day, it didn't surprise me to find them in the back seat giggling.

"Asphalt," said my son.

"What did you call me?"

"I didn't call you anything. I was reading that box. It says Asphalt." They laughed some more.

"I'm sorry, why is that funny?"

"It's not my fault," said my son. "Blame it on the donkey."

Of course. Why didn't I see it that way?

----------------------------------------

Just found this great link to the McVeigh Agency Blog. Get 10 of your friends to follow the blog and you'll get a free 15-minute skype or phone chat with Mark McVeigh. How cool is that? Go follow him now and tell him I sent you!!

17 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL! Kids know how to see and enjoy the simple things.

And poor Dick Butkus...

Anna Staniszewski said...

Ha! That's hilarious (and really cute).

Tana said...

Sounds like our kids share the same sense of humor. ;)

Kelly Polark said...

That is funny! And my kids are the same way, and even funnier Dick Butkus has been mentioned so many times in our household to make each other giggle (and we're Bears fans too).
Thank you for following Mark for me, Sherrie! I edited my post so people will follow for you now because I got my fifteen minutes!

Susan R. Mills said...

That's a good story. I needed the laugh. I'll head over to Mark's blog next.

Katie Anderson said...

ahhhh kids! Too funny :) My daughter said yesterday, "I wish you were the kind of mom that made pies when you were anxious (I'm on sub) cuz we'd have a lot of yummy pies now."

haha

lotusgirl said...

LOL. I love kids' minds.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Great heads up on Mark's blog. I'll go follow him and mention your name. (I met him at a conference and he is very nice)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Diane: Yes, poor Dick Butkus. That has to be one of the most unfortunate names!

Anna: I love when they make me see things in a different way :)

T.Anne: At least we get to spend a lot of time laughing :)

Kelly: Yeah, they don't even have to make jokes around here anymore either. I'm glad it's not MY name!

And thanks, Kelly -- you're just racking up the phone calls with agents this week!

Susan: Glad I could make you laugh :) And thanks for mentioning me!

Katie: Go bake that girl something!

Lois: Kids are funny, aren't they?

Terry: Thanks!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

LOL! Kids...what could be more entertaining? :-)

Sarah Laurenson said...

I'm following him for your body count.

And then I'm still gonna follow him cause he writes great posts.

Off to check his submission guidelines and desires.

Julie Dao said...

Your kids are SO cute :) Sounds like they are easily amused! I remember the cafeteria lady used to call hot dogs "weiners" and we would all laugh ourselves silly over it. Oh, those were the days. LOL. Hope you have a great weekend!

Lori W. said...

You can count me to follow M.M. for you, too. Can you conference me in if you win? Kidding.

Your kids are hilarious. I can easily imagine the whole scenario since that kind of humor is highly appreciated by my boys.

Dawn Simon said...

Your kids sound adorable.

I went over to Mark McVeigh's and let him know you sent me. :) I've heard him speak and he's a cool guy.

PJ Hoover said...

How clever! I love the donkey blame :)

Laura Pauling said...

Cute conversation. I love the logic that kids come up with. Thanks for sharing.

Cuppa Jolie said...

Ha! I love kid humor. Great story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...