Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Do Wisdom Teeth Make You Wise?


Dentists terrify me. With their gloved hands and gleaming instruments of torture, I try to stay clear of them.

But when one of my wisdom teeth started to crumble, I knew I had to do something. That was two years ago. TWO YEARS. I was starting to feel pain and I do not like pain, especially when it prevents me from eating food I like.

I called yesterday about getting the tooth removed. I went in this morning and had all four extracted. Yes, you read that right. All four teeth removed. And where, you ask, is the wisdom in that?

Well, it's all over at once. I don't have to agonize about doing the others down the road, because they were going to have to be done at some point. Now as I lay here biting down on bloody gauze, wondering when I will regain feeling in my tongue and cheeks, I'm thinking I could have held out a little longer. Maybe.

My daughter asked if I would still be smart without my wisdom teeth. Good question. I don't know the answer. I told her to let me know in a few weeks.

So before I completely fade into a Vicodin induced haze, I leave you with this, my impression of dentists everywhere.

13 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Steve Martin is hilarious!
Wow, did they have a pull one, get three free deal? Yikes! Get some rest! Drink soft, yummy things like milkshakes! You will feel better soon!

Casey Something said...

I have the same predicament right now. One of my wisdom teeth broke, but I don't have any pain, oddly enough. I keep trying to tell myself to get it dealt with before there IS pain but I have an awful fear of dentists, and I'm worried they'll want to remove all four to get it over and done with.

Yat-Yee said...

I totally see the wisdom in pulling all at once: that's what I did! Don't know how to answer your daughter's question though!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I went to the dentist today too. Horrible experience. And way pay for this? They hit me w/ an unexpected $200 copay. I went out to the car and cried. Good luck getting some wisdom. Pass some along to me if you still have any.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Kelly: I love Steve Martin, but I actually had to turn it off today when he stuck the wrench in the boy's mouth. It made me squirm!

Casey: I totally sympathize. It's a tough decision to make.

Yat-Yee: I think I'm glad I did it all at once. Why torture myself four separate times, huh?

PJ Hoover said...

Not sure. I still have all my wisdom teeth and I am very wise. So I have no comparison. :)

But dentists are not my favorite places to go for anything.

Sarah Laurenson said...

My wisdom teeth were fully impacted and starting to turn sideways. Had them all removed in the hospital when I was 16. Spent two days there recovering. My brother was out in one.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I was born with no wisdom teeth. Still don't have any. I'm very very lucky!

Good luck. *HUGS*

Rena Jones said...

Oh gosh -- I love that clip! I had all 4 of my wisdome teeth removed at the same time too. I'm glad I got it over with. I had really bad experiences with dentists as a child and it's taken me YEARS and some great DDS to get over that. I hope you feel better soon!

Susan R. Mills said...

Sorry, but I couldn't read past dentist. I'm horrified by them, and I just couldn't read on. Not only do they always physically hurt you, but they also drain your pocketbook.

Beth Kephart said...

Um. Did you just write this in the same day that you had all four teeth removed? I don't like getting my teeth worked on—at all—and have had a million trillion things done (including having the whole mouth wired shut for many weeks) and still I have no courage.

I admire your strength AND I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Tamara: That's a steep copay! I'll let you know if I find any wisdom :)

PJ: Hang on to those teeth as long as you can!

Sarah: Yikes! That does not sound fun.

Glam: Lucky you!

Rena: Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favorite movies. I don't have a favorite dentist :)

Susan: It's amazing that we pay money for the torture, huh?

Beth: I can't believe your mouth was wire shut! Yuck!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, you poor thing! I hope you're feeling better. I got all four of mine pulled right after I graduated from college, and I can STILL remember what it felt like! Feel better soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...