Monday, February 23, 2009

A Funny Compliment


As I drove the kids to school, my daughter had her nose buried in a book about planets. Her first grade class has been studying the solar system and she’s been reading anything she can get her hands on about our galaxy.

Suddenly she looked up at me, our eyes met in the rearview mirror, and in that sweet little sing-songy voice of hers, she said, “Mommy, Uranus is beautiful!”

I almost crashed the car I was laughing so hard! She didn’t understand what was so funny, but my son, of course, thought that was the most hilarious thing he’d ever heard.

I’m happy to take my compliments in any way, shape or form…even when they aren’t really intended that way :^)

12 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha! So funny. Kids are hilarious, whether they mean to be or not.

Kelly Polark said...

That is funny! And it is so cool that she is so into the subject she is learning at school. Uranus jokes are oh too common in our household. And my husband usually is the one that starts them.

PJ Hoover said...

Truly hilarious!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

It really is a silly name for a planet! But hey, if it gets you a compliment...

What a cute story!

Sarah Laurenson said...

Hah! Very funny!

And yet I remember being the one to say something that I didn't know would be funny and feeling bad about not knowing. But I felt bad about not knowing everything I didn't know.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh, this is so funny!

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness, that is too funny! Love those moments! In December we had some friends staying with us, and my 3-year old was helping to hook their 2-year old into his booster seat at the table. My son, impressed with his sister's buckling skills said, "Wow ... she's a gooood hooker!" Totally innocent ... but when other meanings are applied ... well ... just too funny! :-)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Corey - Kids always make me laugh!
Kelly - I love when they get so into a subject.
PJ - Yes!
Glam - It is a silly name!
Sarah - She just laughed with us :^)
Vivian - Very!
Kelly - LOVE that story!!

Anonymous said...

That joke never runs out of ooomph! I think it's so cool that she sees a planet as beautiful, though. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Becky -- She has been fascinated with space as long as she's been alive and wants to be an astronaut -- we'll see!

Merc said...

I love kid comments like that. :D Hilarious! Thanks for sharing. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious -- something to save and use in novel someday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...